Saturday, November 13, 2010

Saturday Surname - Thompson

Thompson seems to be one of the most common surnames around these days.  The family has grown and branched out around the world.  You can go to almost any country and find a Thompson or a variation of it.

My Thompson family originates in Northern Ireland, Antrim Co to be exact.  Mine emigrated in 1885 to Canada.  My ancestor Thomas Thompson and his 9 children sailed over in various groups to settled in the Parry Sound district.

Since then the family has grown and spread through out our area and beyond.  Unfortunately due to record availability I haven't been able to get past Thomas on that branch of the family tree.  Based on his marriage records in 1852 his father was John Thompson.

Here is a link to a previous post with my Thompson line.

2 comments:

  1. I have Thompsons on both sides of my family --and a John Thompson, too. But it's such a common name! I think our Thompsons are miles distant, geographically speaking.

    Welcome to Geneabloggers.

    Nancy from My Ancestors and Me at http://nancysfamilyhistoryblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you both Bill and Nancy :) Thank you so much for posting!

    Never know Nancy, there might be a connection somewhere :) lol.

    ReplyDelete